Thursday, August 18, 2005

What is near...




What objects take on the personas of the tattered blankets we used to tote around as children? Mine was pale yellow with a silky hem, though for as far back as I can remember, the hem was unnattached and hanging mostly free - I called it my "Silky," and couldn't fall asleep unless I was holding the blankie part in one hand, and Silky in the other.

As I've been aquiring handbags lately, this stuff-to-carry subject has been on my mind. Right now I'm carrying a new chalk bucket from Black Diamond - garbage bag green with a red embroidered logo - and find that it holds quite a bit. Two cell phones (one work, one play), my iPod mini, a brush, several butterfly clips, my wallet, checkbook, lip gloss (Origins, sheer raspberry).....

Like Blankie and Silky, the contents of the little - or oversized - bag at my side make me feel safer somehow.